My third project for Shave ’em to Save ’em was white roving (Cotswold I think), but it’s officially Dye Season. This was in a ball, and the outside of the ball soaked up more dark than the inside. I will even it out a bit with the drum carder, which will make it easier to spin anyway. This is Greener Shades dye, a half teaspoon of yellow with a couple of smidgens of black (I couldn’t find my smidgen-sized measuring spoons, though I did later, so I don’t know the exact amount of black I used). It ends up a nice green.
Check out Shave ‘Em to Save ‘Em, “a program that will recognize fiber artists for using wool from breeds on our Conservation Priority List while connecting shepherds of heritage breeds with customers.”
In other words, buy stuff from people raising rare breeds, to lend your economic support to keeping this breeds alive!
So, it’s a passport program – witness my fondness for collecting brewery passport t-shirts and snapshots for my VT 251 club page – and I’m all in. I’ve spun my first “rare” (actually “recovering”) breed, Shetland… I bought it as roving, and just spun it up, and it was almost too easy.
The last one on the right is the one I just finished. Looks a lot like his sibling next to him. Well, you go to war with the mohair you have, not the mohair you wish you had…
One corner of my office… yarn I’ve spun, a weaving a did, yarn I’ve purchased… the weaving is useless but pretty. I’ve made it my phone wallpaper, so I guess I found a kind of use for it.
First project from Xmas gift:
It was supposed to have decorative tufts sewn on, but I had trouble making that happen.
It’s from a very local (Jericho) Navajo-Churro handspun (not by me).
Exhibit A: Viking Socks. And do they ever look like Viking socks, i.e. something out of the 6th century. The author of this pattern needs to bone up on 17-th century heel-turning technology.
Exhibit B: More of my (should-be) patented multi-color homespun 100% mohair yarn.